Outstanding Accessibility and Visibility
From well-connected interstates and highways to scenic mountain roads, traveling throughout the Colorado Springs region is a breeze. Interstate 25 runs conveniently through Colorado Springs, heading north through Denver into Wyoming, and south to New Mexico. For east or west access, U.S. Highway 24 runs through Colorado Springs and connects with I-70 to the east at Limon, CO, and near Vail in the mountains to the west. There is even a road that leads to the summit of Colorado’s most famous mountain: Pikes Peak.
Interchange Reconstruction Project
at I-25 and Cimarron Street (US 24)
- One of the region’s busiest interstate highway interchanges is preparing for a multi-million dollar makeover. The I-25/Cimarron Interchange reconstruction is the second largest highway project in Colorado Springs history (COSMIX—Colorado Springs Metropolitan Expansion Project: 2004-2008—is the largest).
- The project, slated for completion in December 2017, will transform the decades-old structure into a more efficient and more attractive gateway to Colorado Springs, El Paso County and the mountain communities to the west. The improvements will enhance operations, correct existing safety and design deficiencies, and serve the anticipated short-term and long-term travel demand in this area.
- Following pre-construction activity in June 2015, local, state, and federal transportation officials and organizations realized the culmination of years of collaborative efforts to study, plan and fund the $113 million project. Project funds have come from multiple federal, state, RAMP (Responsible Acceleration of Maintenance and Partnerships), local federal Metro funds, and local sources, including local match funding from the project partners of the City of Colorado Springs and El Paso County.
- I-25 and Cimarron Street is a key local and regional interchange that serves as a primary connection to downtown Colorado Springs to the east, and to neighborhoods and mountain communities to the west.
- For more information on the reconstruction project, please visit: https://www.codot.gov/projects/i25cimarronDB